Sunday, January 16, 2011

Goodbye Ole 40 Footer?

Well, its always funny to me the way things turn out in life. Every week around here lately brings some sort of unexpected change. A couple of weeks ago, I finally talked Travis into selling the Quantum wagon. As much as we love the 40mpg, the car is too small for three car seats and we need to upsize anyways. So, I finally convinced him that we shouldn't put any money into repairing it, but rather just try to get some money for it. These old diesel VW's are pretty desirable, so we knew the engine and tranny would bring enough money that we ought to be able to buy something else to get around in. So, I started looking around online to get an idea of what to list the car for, and came across an ad on the Olympia Washington craigslist from a guy who wanted a Quantum, dead or alive. So, I emailed him, thinking I probably wouldn't get a response since he probably wouldn't really want to tow the car all that way, but since these cars are so rare it was worth a shot. Well, lo and behold, the next morning I get an email from him saying he was on his way to our town anyways, he was driving a friend here, and would love to check out the car! What are the odds? He thought one of his friends was playing a practical joke on him. Well, he came and looked at the car, and said he was interested if we made him a good price. Trav and I talked about it, then emailed him a price the next day. I didn't hear from him for about a week, so I lowered the price and emailed him again. That same day, I found out that my cousin has a 95 minivan for sale, cheap, and the thought of buying a car from someone trustworthy excited me. Well, the Quantum guy called that afternoon, and got my hopes up, so I texted my cousin to see about the van. But, when I called the Quantum guy back, I discovered he wasn't calling with an offer to buy the car, but rather an offer to fix the car for a couple hundred bucks. So, no money for the minivan. We agreed that he could try and fix the car, that way at least we have it driveable, and we can always sell it later. But, I was really excited about that minivan. Well, yesterday, a couple of good friends came by and helped Travis work on his truck, and one of the guys expressed interest in the school bus. (I once sold him my 1969 Mercedes, many years ago.) Travis and I had tossed around the idea of selling the bus a few weeks ago, in our desperate times. Well, this morning we found out just how seriously he wants it, because he was willing to pay our price, even though he needs to make payments. So, it looks like its goodbye to the old yellow 40 footer, goodbye to our school bus conversion plans. But, it isn't goodbye to hopes of life on the road, it will just be a slightly less grand lifestyle. It will be a travel trailer for us. I'll miss seeing that giant yellow billboard advertising freedom out my kitchen window every day, but I've had a lot of experience accepting change in life, going with the flow of life is what I do best. So we'll just see where that flow takes us next. Hopefully I won't be stuck with a minivan forever! :)

No comments: